Ever ponder what the distinction between A Trains and B Trains were? Did you even think about the presence of C Trains? This article clarifies the distinctive ways that two trailers are hooked to each other in North America. When you allude to an arrangement of trailers as A, B or C trains you are truly referring to the connection between the two.
A – Train Semi Truck Trailers
A train is connected by a dolly that is hooked up to a pintle hook on the rear of the forward trailer. The dolly has one or two axles, and it is licensed as a separate trailer.
- Single axle A Trains are utilized to keep running between terminals
- Double axle A trains are utilized for Long Combination Vehicles, to put two 48’ or 53’ trailers together. A-Trains are used for pulling Van (enclosed) trailers.
B-Train Semi Truck Trailers
B-Trains are a truck-trailer combination where the axles of the lead trailer stick out and a fifth wheel is mounted on the lead trailer. The axles of the lead trailer slide underneath the lead trailer so it can back into a door just like a regular trailer.
The operation of these trucks usually don’t require going back to a dock, drivers simply drive forward, making it less trying. The drivers that do drive these trucks, however, have a tendency to be experienced and can back into docks or around corners in spite of the size of their trucks.
- The 8 axle, 63,500 kg B Train is standard across Canada.
- A set of two can be pulled to a destination.
- Popular for hauling flatbed, bulk and liquid goods in Canada and some US states.
C-Train Semi Truck Trailers
The lead trailer pulls a dolly that the second trailer sits on. There are two pintle hooks, which removes one of the points of articulation from the unit. This makes the second trailer significantly steadier. This does make it harder to hook the dolly to the lead trailer.
- Rarest of the double trailer combinations
- C-Trains pull long combination vehicles, not shorter double trailers in Western Canada
- The tires on this dolly will wear significantly speedier from going around corners